The Hospice medical director is a doctor of medicine or osteopathy who supervises, reviews, manages and coordinates clinical care for all the patients in the Hospice program.
He or she:
- Reviews patient eligibility for Hospice services
- Acts as a medical resource to the patient care team
- Acts as a liaison with physicians and other referral sources in community
Hospice of South Texas Medical Directors
Tyson Meyer M.D. - Full time
Terry Whitehouse M.D.
Sanjeev Bhatia M.D.
Jennifer Gonzales M.D.
Claire Zengerle D.O
Bruce Bauknight M.D.
Donald Kocurek M.D.
In August 2009, Dr. Ty Meyer was hired as the first full time medical director for Hospice of South Texas. He is charged with overseeing the medical component of care received by Hospice's patients. Dr. Meyer works as an integral part of the patient's team to create a customized plan of care for each patient and is available to make visits to the patient's home, nursing home, or hospital when needed.
Ty grew up in Port Lavaca, graduated from St. Joseph High School and received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology from St. Mary's University in San Antonio. After graduating from UT Houston Medical School, Ty completed his Internal Medicine Residency and Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship in San Antonio. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
Hospice encourages participation by the patient's attending physician in coordinating the medical care of the patient through ongoing communication with the patient care team.
He or she provides:
- Admitting diagnosis and prognosis, current medical findings, orders for medication, treatment, and symptom management.
- Direction for medical management of other conditions not related to the terminal illness.